Did you just receive a traffic citation? Don’t make the mistake of doing nothing.
If you have just received a traffic ticket for a careless mistake, or were cited for something that you did not do, or had good reason to do, there are steps you need to take. Failure to appear at the court named on the citation within the time frame stated (no less than 5 days, no more than 14) will almost certainly result in additional fees, a potential warrant issued for your arrest and possibly, and/or a suspension of your license, which can especially be damaging for CDL license holders or those who require their license to maintain current employment.
I GOT A TICKET. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?
Fight Your TicketAdmit Your GuiltDo Nothing
Fight your traffic ticket.To do this you MUST make an appearance "no later than 5 days from the date of citation, but no more than 14 days," among other things. This process may be intimidating if you have never done it before, but if you hire Helgesen, Houtz & Jones, we will do the following for you:
- Enter your appearance. You will not have to appear within the 14 days if we enter for you.
- Enter your plea of "Not Guilty." Whether you feel you may be guilty or not, you are innocent until "proven guilty" and therefore entitled to make the State prove their case.
- Request "discovery" from the State, which includes all relevant documents to your citation and all evidence that may tend to prove your innocence (i.e. police report, witness statements, photographs, latest radar calibration tests and results, if applicable, etc.)
- Request a Jury Trial. Each individual is entitled to be heard and judged by their peers in a court of law. Requesting a jury trial can be extremely beneficial even with traffic violations, providing an added incentive to the prosecutor to offer a more generous "plea deal," or in rare cases, a dismissal.
- Request a "Pre-Trial" date. This is the date you will be required to appear for the first time, in the courthouse and at a designated time.
Admit your guilt and pay the ticket.To resolve the case you may pay the fee online, some courts allow payment by phone, or you may pay in person at the courthouse named on your citation. By simply paying the fee you are not only admitting your guilt, but you will also be:
- Waiving the option to "plea bargain" your penalty, which can often reduce the fine, the amount of points on your driving record, and possibly lead to dismissal of the charge entirely.
- Giving the State consent to attribute points to your driving record, which could lead to your license being suspended or revoked. You should note that the majoity of the States are part of the Interstate Driver's License Compact (IDLC) whose themse is "one driver, one license, one record." A ticket in Utah will most likley affect your out-of-state license.
- Allowing your auto insurance company to possibly increase your rates.
Do not make the mistake of doing nothing!
Failure to appear at the court named on the citation within the time frame stated (no less than 5 days, no more than 14) will almost certainly result in additional fees, a potential warrant issued for your arrest and possibly, and/or a suspension of your license, which can especially be damaging for CDL license holders or those who require their license to maintain current employment.
If you have received a traffic ticket, whether you are a resident here in Utah or are from out-of-state and were just passing through, call today. We look forward to hearing from you soon and discussing your options.
CONTACT A UTAH TRAFFIC LAWYER
Call today to retain a Utah traffic lawyer and begin fighting your ticket.
At Helgesen, Houtz & Jones we offer FREE CONSULTATIONS where you can discuss your case and legal options. You will speak with a licensed attorney who is specialized in the "ins and outs" of Utah traffic law. If you want to challenge the citation our promise to you is simple, "We will take every step to ensure that you receive the best deal available to you, we will make the process simple for you, we will give you our best work and help you along the way, and last but not least, we will do it for a price that is feasible for you."
Meet Our Utah Traffic Lawyer
Kurt has successfully defended hundreds of traffic ticket cases in the state of Utah.
What types of traffic tickets can we help you with?
Why should you hire an attorney to help fight your traffic ticket?
- Avoid unnecessary fines
- Prevent additional points from affecting driving record
- Keep your driver's license in good standing
- Keep your insurance premiums low
- Save you money
- Potentially have your ticket dismissed